Tuesday, April 23, 2024

Goodbye, my dear Monty

I sob intermittently as I write this. With speaking still beyond me, at least I can write. 

Yesterday morning, as I walked Monty along a very quiet road, on leash, a pack of dogs came out of a house and set upon him... I'm not sure how many of the dogs were actually involved, but the owner blames one. The owner, screaming and sobbing, threw himself on Monty to try to protect him and I did my best, but Monty took some serious damage. 

The owner and I rushed him to the local emergency vet and they were quite comforting and confident in his recovery... far more than I, but I tend to encompass the negative possibilities in my future expectations. I went back at 4pm, but they were still in surgery, having taken the morning to stabilize him. At 6:00 (closing time), I brought him home, yelping and crying while still deep in anaesthesia, apparently a common event. 

I lay beside his unresponsive and noisy form all night, occasionally checking on him when he thrashed about, putting a hand on his back and gently stroking him in hopes it would get through, At 8:20 I checked and he seemed still... and stiff... and gone. 

I'm broken...but I will heal in time. I miss my little cuddler, one of the two best dogs I've had, terribly. Furthering the heartbreak is the fact that the owners of the dog pack, a very nice man/wife/young child, are going to lose a big part of THEIR family too, as a killing is an unforgiveable offence even here in FL. And I can certainly see that pack of normally nice dogs getting excited and killing a child or even an adult, so I can't leave it unreported. Shortly, I will go with the owner to help him put his dear dog, the ringleader, to sleep, so he can pet it and say goodbye while it goes...

This is just heartbreaking in every way. 

At least Monty brought a lot of joy into many lives and really enjoyed his life with me. Goodbye, my little one. 














26 comments:

  1. oh Skip we're so very very sorry about this! Our hearts go out to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Skip, I'm so sorry that you had to go through that. All my love to you. Monty was a sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Skip, that is devastating. We can only imagine your horror and grief…we are stunned and sobbing with you.
    Monty was as dear a familiar as you could ever want. We are so, so sorry

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m sorry to learn of your loss. He was a very cute pup. Take care buddy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So very sorry for your loss... heartbreaking

    ReplyDelete
  6. Terrible circumstances. I can imagine your pain and you will get through. May Monty's memory be a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so sorry for your loss. Monty was a very special dog, friend and sailing partner for you. He was lucky to have had you for his owner/friend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an awful way go. I'm so sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Skip, I know how much Monty meant to you and I am crushed to hear of his demise. He was such a wonderful little fella, and you gave him a spectacular life of travel and affection. In my experience the void is deep and long, but you do recover. How kind of you to support the humans of the perpetrator. It's a double tragedy that can be somewhat assuaged by sharing your grief and eventual recovery. I'm honored that you included me in your gallery. I'm one of many that loved Monty dearly. Sending a big virtual hug until I see you again - soon hopefully.

    Lots of love!

    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh crap! Love you, dad. Hope you feel better soon ;( <3

    Katrina decided she was gonna start carrying pepper spray after a very scary dog encounter while out camping. She realized the value of having something to protect herself after that day. Would you consider carrying some for your safety and your future dogs' safety?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks... And I'm thinking about it, but it happened so fast...

      Delete
  11. How devastating, Dustin! We’re so sad for your loss of sweet Monty! Sending you lots of hugs! 🤗❤️
    Glenn and Jana

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! Heartbreaking for you and the other family.. your humanity shines as you help the other family in their greef even as you greive.. ❤️ ❤️‍🩹

    John Spencer

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Skip~ So very sorry for your tragic experience, in every way! You've written such a touching recounting of the story you are all experiencing in a heartbreaking chapter for both of your families! My thoughts are with you!!
    Sharie

    ReplyDelete
  14. My heart breaks for you, Skip…so so sorry…

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sorry for your loss Skip, what a great loving life he had . Kent R

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh dear Skip - this is horrible on so many levels. Holding you both in my
    heart.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Absolutely heartbreaking. I am so sorry to hear Skip. You gave Monty a wonderful life and he so enriched yours. much love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is Kari - <3

      Delete
    2. I am so sorry for your loss Skip and Cynthia. This is so sad. My heart goes out to you.

      Delete
    3. This Alison who just wrote the above comment.

      Delete
  18. Skip… It’s Sonja (and Crush). I am so sad about this news. Oh my gosh it is just so so sad. Please know I’m thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, Dustin, that was a particularly rough way to lose a dear friend. The heartbreak is searing. A neighbor said to us when we had to put Scout down, "For the people we lose there are words. For dogs, none." I think what he was saying is: the love of a dog is so unqualified, so unquestioning -- and often one might feel undeserved -- that when we have to bring their life to an end -- well, there are no words, just sobs from the core of one's being. Big warm thoughts coming your way, friend. David and Janet

    ReplyDelete