Saturday, March 30, 2024

A Story With a Morel

 I found my first morel!!!


Not many things make me hop up and down with excitement, but noticing my very first morel mushroom did the trick. These things blend in SO well that I had a hard time seeing it from six feet away. I've gone out and done some desultory mushroom hunting, but never gotten anything worthwhile and to come across this one in my mom's yard surprised and delighted me. 

According to ForageSF.com, the morel I found is “Morchella Rufobrunnea. These morels are nicknamed the “Wood Chip Morels” since they like to grow in mulched areas. That’s because they are saprotrophic morels that feed off of decomposing organic matter.”  https://foragesf.com/blog/2020/3/4/finding-and-frying-wild-morels

I did not bother to pick it, preferring to leave it there. Childhood training to never even touch wild mushrooms runs deep and, while a taste of morels might have convinced me to pick this one, I've never tasted them and was therefore not tempted. Besides, it was all alone and maybe we might get more next year? 

4 comments:

  1. That’s a beauty! Chanterelles are abundant here in the Bristol Hills and I love foraging. Still looking for my first Morel…thanks for the great California photos. Miss those trees.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Come to WA in the autumn - lots of mushrooms - lobster, chanterelles, etc to be found!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That’s a beauty! Glad you left it there!

    Glenn and Jans

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oops! Glenn and Jana

    ReplyDelete