Friday, January 4, 2019

Sonoma visit December 2018

How fast the decades pass! Nearly three of them have gone by since I gutted the house my folks bought and rebuilt it for them. And they have mostly been quite happy with it. Of course, there are things that need work from time to time. Last time I was here I replaced a few deck planks, this time I'm working in the attic (nice and cool this time of year), crawling under the house, pruning, etc.

Progress remains slow: although I've recovered considerably in the years since I quit my carpentry here, I still find that working in the attic (or under the house or weeding or on the deck) leaves me hurting rather quickly... and, day by day, I was finding myself stiffer and groaning more loudly: time wounds all heels (not to mention backs and knees). After over ten days, however, I think I've found an amount of work that, combined with yoga and walking each day, leaves me no worse off than the day before.

And solving problems and fixing things brings satisfaction. Doing a good job brings satisfaction. And I get to visit my folks and extended family. And Chris (an old friend) and I checked out Jack London museum and walked around the remains of his amazing house.

And, yes, I am eager to get back aboard the boat and point her nose toward adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment