Thursday, November 8, 2018

IT'S ALIVE!!! (the boat rises from the slab and goes sailing)

Courage, I've heard, is not the lack of fear, but acting despite fear. If true, today I displayed courage. After ten months pouring time, money, and heart into the boat, today  (with my neighbor Paul) I took it out for a sail.

So, what did I fear?
1) Hitting other boats in the narrow marina: this boat does NOT turn easily. This is good in the open, bad in tight spaces.
2) running aground (this place is SO shallow that I can not get out most of the time... I think. This really scares me.)
3) problems with the boat... sails, masts, booms, etc, Etc, ETC! Nothing showed up this time.
4) unexpected issues. Two turned up: the steering locks in an unexpected way (so I was stuck heading toward a shoal, but figured it out in time) and the modifications done by prior owners cause the main sheet to ALWAYS wrap (tangle) on the winch. Both are easily solvable... I think.

So, my neighbor, Paul, volunteered to help out and we had a great shakedown sail in rather heavy wind (30 mph plus gusts)!


I'm satisfied and elated and exhausted.... and looking forward to sailing south with Cynthia in a few days or so.

9 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Excitement and terror are very close. I'm glad it came down on the excitement side....mostly. Heading for the side of the channel with the steering locked certainly got the adrenaline going...

      Delete
  2. Well done - your careful preparation paid off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far, so good. I am feeling a lot more confidence about going to sea in a week...

      Delete
  3. Great!! Congrats on your hard work and wonderful results so far! Where are you headed with Cynthia?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Departed marina yesterday noon in a storm, heading south down ICW. Anchored in cold and wind tonight. Blowing hard, boat tossing about: I'd forgotten how stressful it can be to spend night wondering if anchor will hold...
      Today we hope to reach the ocean and sail under stars.

      Delete