Sunday, July 22, 2018

Great trip to Cape Cod, but now we need a new sailboat.

(written Saturday, July 21)

Here I sit in MI, again, after driving back from the Cape. The trip itself worked pretty darned well and I really enjoyed my sunrise walks and one delightful sunrise coffee with cousin Lisa, even though one must get walking before 5am to see the sunrise. As it was, I overslept and she had to call me and most of the days were foggy or cloudy, but 50% is OK.

I got to sail almost every day. For the first couple days I had no rowboat, so simply swam to and from the boat (five minutes each way), but swimming out into a surprisingly strong current, having to fight to get to the boat before being swept past, hanging on to the mooring line to regain my breath, then laying on deck and gasping for a few minutes inspired me to put the dinghy in the water.... although I found I missed the tingly aliveness I always feel after that cold, scary (sharks?), long, aerobic swim.

I took out so many friends in such a short time! My mom, brother Peter, and Bailey the dog..
The St George family...
Cousin Deb on her Beetle Cat..

And more..

On Wednesday ( July 18) I took Bob, Jo, Clint, and Sherrie(sp?) out, fearing we might barely move in the light breeze. Within ten minutes the wind had risen to something decent and in a half hour blew very nicely. Wonderful sail! 

And on Thursday, before I needed to depart at noonish, my parents and a couple friends joined me for a final sail (we had no idea just HOW final) in absolutely perfect conditions: wonderful cool wind, on clear water, under brilliant blue sky. I unloaded everyone at the beach, sailed to the mooring, carefully put everything away neatly, rowed to shore, and drove back to MI.

Cynthia and I immediately went to Home Depot for various projects, but before we entered my mom called to tell me the boat caught fire and was totaled.
Very very sad.... but we still have the good memories and I do not believe anyone was injured or significant environmental damage.

So... what in heck happened? Well, I can't imagine this being caused by anything but an electrical fire and the only electrical was a battery and bilge pump I installed. Could the pump have frozen over the winter or the float valve stuck in the ON position? Either could easily have caused a fire.... and, in hindsight, could have been prevented with appropriate fuses and/or testing. I feel pretty bad about this... but all I can do it apologize and make sure to do a better job in the future... and really pay attention to electrical fire possibilities in my boat in NC: fuses, protection, etc.

We have a number of boats (same model) we are looking at as replacements. With luck we will have a nice boat for everyone this summer.

Isn't life interesting? Let's appreciate the heck out of what we have while it lasts.

6 comments:

  1. Great attitude Skip - lots of happy memories on the Rhodes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I echo you, Deb! And yes, one day at a time, with gratitude and love for good friends and family near and far!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Quite a story. Well you enjoyed a classic boat, something few can do. That’s a win in itself. There will be more fun and more cool adventures, as you’ve already summed up. Be safe. No shark bites. They hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Silly question but was this your boat? Somehow we thought it was a boat at the Cape and your boat was in NC...no?? Sorry about the fire but glad no one was hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry to hear this and sorry we missed you in the Cape. Holler next time you are headed east.

    ReplyDelete