Thursday, July 12, 2018

Back on Cape Cod! Sand bars keep moving....

6:15 am Thursday.

I've been here for nearly two days after driving overnight from MI and just came back from my first sunrise beach walk in FAR too long.

Walking from the Chatham Lighthouse south along the beach, the first thing I noticed is that the beach is smaller. As I walked past Occupy Chatham (something Cynthia and I unknowingly started as a shelter from the frigid north winter winds years ago), the beach loss stares one in the face, with a good deal of the front yard gone entirely.
And as I walked around toward Outermost Harbor, the southern tail of the beach has swung far west, pushed back from the ocean by currents and waves.

This obvious change became even more obvious when I saw a patch of marsh growing on the exposed face of the beach.
This bit of green must have been dormant while the spit of sand got pushed back across it during the winter, falling asleep in the fall in a sheltered marsh and awakening this spring to strong currents and ocean waves. Amazing to think the beach traveled that far just this winter.

Well, that's all for now. I'm here for another week, then back to MI briefly.

No comments:

Post a Comment