Wednesday, October 4, 2017

A photo essay of Coral Bay as it is after Irma and Maria

http://www.yelenarogersphoto.com/Hurricane-Irma-Drive-through-Coral-Bay

I see so many familiar boats, places, people....but as if after a war that has turned it all upside down. "Gone with the wind."

You can see Dorado, with it's bright red bottom, Gigi and her big sister aground on the point, Silver Cloud still miraculously afloat with Elliot, Sarah, and the dog aboard.... but no rigging. So sad.

Here are some photos that she took that touch me a bit.....
Breathe (the one farthest right, with the yellow stripe and wooden mast), a sweet boat that has always been moored near me...

My friend Rob's boat (the blue on with the stern underwater), on which he has been working since I met him.... and making final touches last winter.
 

Marty's boat, with the green bottom and, miraculously, the sailcover still in place... (and mine right behind it)

Angels' Rest (all that I can see are the blue pontoons)

Gigi, my neighbor Larry's boat..... along with the ONLY other CSY in the harbor...


And, of course, Dorado. How in heck will I get her off the shore? And will she float? And do I need to pay to pull the others out of the way? Hmmm...
Well, we shall see if I amend this post farther...

8 comments:

  1. Are there pictures from after Maria? I only see the after-Irma pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apparently Maria made no significant difference...

    ReplyDelete
  3. ay ay ayyyyye...so sorry for everyone's loss. <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Dustin, this is truly distressing.
    It looks as though the Dorado still has its mast, yes?
    When are you going back?
    We've donated to Global Giving which is supposed to be directing funds to the islands. Also our show in NY raised over $8000 in one week for Puerto Rico.
    I hope your island is getting the help it needs.
    David and Janet and Scout

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it looks as though Dorado is fine. We shall see when I get down there in ten days.

      Delete
  5. Bummer, thats a lot of fiberglass left to waste. Devastating.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What amazing pictures. I'm eager to hear about what happens next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heading to HI on Friday to look at a boat. Then off to St John on Tuesday (arriving Wed) ten days from now to see what I can see/do.

      Delete