Saturday, March 2, 2024

Sonoma Visit and Citrus Update

I arrived here about 2/18 and depart on 3/24 for St Thomas. Travel was fine, although Monty didn't pack light and seemed to expect ME to carry his suitcase... (ok, just kidding!)


Monty acts DELIGHTED to be here: a comfortable house, cool conditions for walking, a couch, and a lazy-dog... um, lazy-boy.


Pretty nice! AND he always loves being around my mom. 

Monty also loves seeing friends, even if they have dogs. He mostly doesn't care much for most other dogs, but played wildly with Mattie, a 6-month-old wild-and-crazy fluffball. 




I feel a bit sore, perhaps from hill walking or perhaps from a hot yoga class I tried. It turns out that, while I enjoyed the class and company, I tend to overdo the exercise and get some injuries.... and I run warm, getting rather woozy by class end. Some like it hot, some can't handle the heat... and I recall being in the latter group, needing to load my pockets with ice in order to function in the boat yard in St Thomas, while others seem to revel in warmth. Ah, well: we all need to know our limitations: perhaps I am better off with boat yoga.

Citrus Update? WELL! The grafts from the beginning of Covid are doing just great!

April 2020: https://hydrophiliapow.blogspot.com/2020/04/pandemic-stuck-in-sonoma-twiddling.html

October 2020: https://hydrophiliapow.blogspot.com/2020/10/update-on-sonoma-citrus-grafts.html

Now: 


Here are blood, satsuma, and cara cara citrus. I understand the blood would have better sweetness, color, and flavor with more warmth. Right now they look like smaller, less-sweet cara cara oranges. 


The blood oranges produced about ten fruits, the satsumas about 20 and the Cara Cara oranges around 100 or 200! All three are tasty and juicy, so the grafting has been a big success! Two other trees we planted are doing well: the lime has about 8 nice fruits and the satsuma has grown considerably. All things may pass, but I revel in the delights along the path.


2 comments:

  1. You sure know how to pick your weather!!!.....Peter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Monty sure looks happy playing. Enjoy Sonoma

    ReplyDelete