Saturday, May 20, 2023

Goodbye, dad. We will miss you...

Wednesday, May 17th, my dad turned 91. Thursday, May 18th, he took his last breath about five minutes before sunrise, surprising us when the next failed to come. Friday, May 19th, the wordle answer was "grief".

My dad had a long life and, I think, a good one. He had a good sense of humor, good health, good friends, and a good family. 

I've been here in Sonoma for the last few rather difficult weeks and got to hear quite a bit about his adventures with his younger sister, growing up in Croton-on-Hudson. We found a video of water running over the dam there and he watched it for hours, pointing out the bits of beauty. I'm sure, if I had shown him this pic, he would have had more stories...


He married my mom, a gal he had known since her birth. All six nieces acted as flower girls... although we seem to be missing one here. Hey, ChatGPT: can you add one?

My dad surely loved the Outermost House, a wonderful beach shack on the barrier beaches of Cape Cod. Clamming, fishing, hiking...


Time goes on. Now my dad's three sons are living in Berkeley, DC, and in a peripatetic boat on the east coast. His seven grandkids are in DC; Berkeley; Portland, OR; London, UK; and Casper, WY. Happily, two sons and three grandkids were here for his birthday and departure.

I'm not sure what dad loved most, whether it was telling bad jokes (or good ones), making and/or eating good food,



making wine (and drinking it, of course),

digging clams,

or just being around people he loved,

but he certainly enjoyed his life. He has left the world a bit better and he will be missed.




And so, life goes on. I'll be heading to Cape Cod on the 30th and stay for about four weeks. Then back to St Augustine to my boat, work on it for a week or so, then set sail...

I hope all of you are doing well. May you have all the happiness you deserve...

19 comments:

  1. thank you for sharing these lovely memories. See you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done, dad. :) ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite memory is sitting around a table (an old door?) in the back yard in Chatham, your dad opening clams, as fast as we all could eat them, along with potato chips and beer. He will be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sad to know your dad passed on. He had a full and wonderful life. Glad to had so many great memories my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Truer words were never spoken/written. Thanks so much ,Skip, for sharing your words and photos of a memorable friend. Lovingly, Don n Bon

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful tribute, Skip. You really captured the essence of my "Uncle Bill." I have a vivid memory of him and Elinor taking me out in the big surf of the outer bar when I was quite little. They each held one of my hands and we jumped over each wave. It was thrilling. I also loved staying with you all for a few nights at the Outermost House - it was probably 1969 or 1970. What a sweet guy. He will be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry to hear this news, Skip. Thank you for sharing such a nice tribute to your dad. And the photos! I have a lot of great memories of your dad and our families mixing and mingling and up to all sorts of capers in Glendale, Ohio and California. Love to all. Rob Lovett.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this, Skip. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Skip - Sorry for your loss. A life we all yearn for. If you stop in Baltimore, stop by for dinner. - Tony & Tess, s/v Endurance

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds good. I probably won't be in the Baltimore area until fall or even spring, but would surely enjoy seeing you.... and you could meet Monty!

      Delete
  10. I loved this remembrance and seeing these photos, Skip! So wonderful you were with him for his last days. He had a great life and wonderful, loving family. I’ll remember him as a handsome, punny boater, and will miss his bear hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Many fond memories you must have. I can see the strong resemblances you have with him. I know it’s hard, I lost my Dad a few years ago. Hope to see you soon. We are hauled out in St Mary’s boat yard in Georgia doing bottom paint and other projects. Back in St Augustine in 2 weeks or less.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful simple tribute to your father Skip. Many blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Skip, what a beautiful tribute to your Dad. Bob and I send our love and hugs. Hope to see you soon. R.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thanks.
      I'd love to see you guys when I'm up in Maine in August or later...

      Delete
  14. Skip~ Thank you for the beautiful tribute! We are so sorry for your loss! What a wonderful life lived! May we all have that kind of celebration! We will be thinking of you as you spend these days celebrating the memories of so many wonderful years! Cheers Bill!! ~Sharie and Clint

    ReplyDelete
  15. A loving tribute indeed. Such wonderful photographs of a handsome man, wife, and brood -- and the places and activities they loved. Some resonances on our end as well: Croton-on-Hudson up the road a spell from Briarcliff Manor where I was a young lad. Sonoma, natch. And 91 just the age when Adie passed. A fellow who as you say of your dad had a good life, good sense of humor, good health and a good family. All the very best, Skip. David and Janet

    ReplyDelete
  16. Skip, How well I remember our many family experiences In Edina and at St Stevens Church. You were young when we gathered at several different sites for family weekends. We loved your father and how generous he was with his time with my son , George. Barbara Reynolds

    ReplyDelete