Thursday, June 13, 2019

Making it to Cape Cod

First of all, I ended the last post with hopes for clear and easy sailing. That is NOT what happened... we had wind dead behind us, wind directly ahead, zero wind, heavy fog, flat calm, ten-foot waves....pretty much every weather (including beautiful weather) except rain.

The boat, with it's newly painted bottom, new cutless bearing on the propeller, and new AIS (Automated Identification System) went back on the travel-lift and into the water as planned on the morning of Monday June 3rd
and, by 10:30, Paul and I were sailing and motoring south on the ICW.

"South? But Cape Cod is north", I hear you wonder. We had a choice: motor for three days north on the ICW to Chesapeake Bay, sail a few hours east to a harbor entrance in shifting sand, marked as too shallow for my boat, or motor/sail south four hours on the ICW, south another half day in the ocean, then turn north. I find motoring the ICW stressful enough that going south seemed better...as well as likely being a bit faster.

Sailing through busy shipping lanes we were SO happy to have had my new AIS purchase on board to tell us what boats were coming and at what speed: VERY helpful for safety as they could avoid us as well as we avoid them.

We expected Wednesday night and Thursday AM to give us rather high winds and large (10') waves and that definitely came true. Unpleasant, but planning, preparing, and and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches saw us through this unscathed and we could see any other ships in the night on the AIS two hours before they came near us rather than ten minutes. Many times the wind and waves sped us along so the propeller shuddered and rattled: yes, the propeller seems to be unbalanced and I have now ordered a new one, hoping it arrives before the nice new cutless bearing is destroyed.... if it is not already.

After a windy Thursday, the wind died overnight and the Friday sun rose (apparently) on glassy waters and thick fog.
I unzipped one of the cockpit windows and it smelled like Cape Cod and Maine: briny, seaweedy, and fishy... I love it. We motored along, keeping an eye on the AIS rather than needing to sound our horn for collision prevention. And dolphins or porpoises visited, a different species than we see in North Carolina and points south.

Saturday night we crossed busy shipping lanes east of Long Island, VERY glad of the AIS as we essentially were crossing a maritime freeway and those vehicles, even though mostly spaced ten miles apart or so, come near deceptively fast.... and really have trouble slowing or turning much. And the AIS tells us exactly what the paths are likely to be and how close we will pass.

Sunday, with a sometimes favorable wind and much motoring, we reached Monomoy, the spur of sand south of the elbow of Cape Cod and dropped anchor at sunset. I had cooked dinner as Paul kept and eye out for lobster pots, so we sat down to a tasty meal of rice/lentils with pasta sauce, enjoyed the sunset, and REALLY enjoyed a full and uninterrupted night of sleep for the first time in a week in calm seas, starry skies, and light breezes.
We sailed into Stage Harbor in the morning where we rented a rather pricey but welcome mooring for a few nights.

Cynthia was due to arrive at the Cape about 9pm. but thunderstorms delayed her flight and she came in in the wee hours Tuesday morning. This morning (June 12) I drove Paul to Hyannis where he rented a car and is driving home to North Carolina.

The only breakage I can recall on our trip?... well, that must have been the loud "BANG" on day 4 when I looked out the portlight and found a section of the bronze traveler suspended from the jib sheet.
Examination later showed the (corroded) bronze bolts broken and the screws pulled from the (slightly rotten?) wood.

The temporary fix saw the car moved to one of the still sound sections of traveler, where it remains still while I consider options.
The cutless bearing and propeller concern me, but the new propeller should be built and delivered by late July and then we shall take a look.

SO...
For many years, I have imagined having my boat here. And the night Paul and I spent at Monomoy and the sail I took yesterday with Cynthia and my cousin Lisa surely fit those pictures.
And I love good times with friends and family.

Still, I doubt I will be as bold as I imagined: bringing my boat into Pleasant Bay seems a really good way to run aground, so it probably won't happen. But other things I had not really thought about, like fishing for bluefish (Cynthia caught three yesterday and several in NC) work well and foraging for food brings me even closer to the natural world I love.

4 comments:

  1. High adventure, Dustin. And you're just the man for it!
    Cheers!
    David and Janet

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your wonderful adventures, Dustin!
    I don't know if I told you but we won't be going to Martha's Vineyard in August. We had planned to see my son in Pittsburgh in October instead but right now I have a very sick honey in the hospital with a severe GI bleed and a minor stroke, no sleep, delirium and no energy to do the needs test to find out what's causing the bleeding. I'll keep you posted and hope my boy pulls through strongly. Thanks for sending us your great photos and stories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Obviously you don't read the responses people send you! Glenn has been in the hospital 3 weeks with another 2-3 weeks to go. Also we WON'T be in Martha's Vineyard in August as originally planned.

    ReplyDelete