Friday, May 10, 2019

Heading north from Bahamas to NC.... and getting another visitor

My visa ran out and, given that it was about that time anyway, I headed north. I anchored a couple days at the very north-westernmost point of Grand Bahama to wait out a strong blow, then set out. A couple days into the sail, this little critter visited. I suppose it must have seen the "welcome aboard" plaque given to Cynthia and me by her sister and thought correctly that it applied.

The bird checked the boat, including inside the cabin and various perches outside..



..including my big toe
and an insulated mug,
took a good nap,
and disappeared.

I had a few good blows on this trip, including one in which I simply heaved-to for the night with a bit of jib up and all other canvas tied down...
and was about a hundred miles from shore when the bird arrived. I hope it just needed a rest and then continued and survived the spring migration north.

I am currently anchored at Wrightsville Beach, NC, working on fixing and improving the boat (painting, electrical work, fixing leaks in the deck), cleaning up, and otherwise preparing for Cynthia and Lucy to arrive on the 16th. Cynthia wants to go fishing and sailing and soaking up sunshine and I think Lucy wants to bite any fish Cynthia catches.

On May 23rd I am scheduled to pull the boat in Oriental, NC and then Cynthia heads home on the 25th...I think. I hope to put the boat back in the water on the June 3rd and head north for the summer.

3 comments:

  1. The little bird is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos and story! Did the little guy eat anything?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I offered water, sunflower seeds, peanut butter, and almond flour, but it refused them all....although tasted the flour. Seemed to be hunting bugs, a fruitless task on my boat at this time.

      Delete