Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Frustrations (sorry, no pics)

A few days ago, as Cynthia and I sat and enjoyed coffee and tea, the inverter (source of all our household current) started smoking. So... we are now reduced to 12V only, like living in a car.

Cynthia caught a flight yesterday from Governors Harbor airport to Nassau, then flights from Nassau to MI. I think they were predicting a high of 15degF.

This morning I decided to get to work on fixing the broken fridge thermostat, ripped things apart... and then realized I have no power to drill an important hole.

A friend and his wife is coming to visit...and this is great... but they told me yesterday evening that they are arriving tomorrow. UGH! I was hoping to have them bring a small, but important exhaust fan for the composting head, but not enough time to get it sent to them. I also hoped to ship them some packing for the leaking seal around the rudder post and a few other little items. Ah well, such is life.

When I looked at the boat hull while snorkeling a few days ago, I found one side is quite fuzzy: poor quality bottom paint? Old paint? Whatever, it means I need to do more scrubbing and haul the boat out soon and paint the bottom. Maybe fall in NC?

Water seeps from the pantry ceiling if we heel over too far to the port and ruins whatever we have in there.

My ear seems to be far more problematic than before I blew out the eardrum a year or so back. If I dive down eight feet I experience dizziness and nausea for the next day. And the freedom of three-dimensional movement underwater is one of my big delights.

Sometimes I'm just disgusted with all the trouble and think I should sell the boat and do something else, but no idea what.


Still, even with all these frustrations (and I wrote down more somewhere), when I go out on deck at night and feel the breeze or see a wonderful falling star, bright enough to cast a shadow, it takes my breath away. The night before Cynthia left I found we needed another anchor, so went out in the dinghy in the dark to set it.... and the glowing, swirling clouds around my oars caused me to call out to Cynthia and we rowed about for ten minutes, exclaiming in wonder. Life is often good.

No comments:

Post a Comment